Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Troubled World

As my son lies in my arms, lost in dreams, I think this is what angels must look like. So quiet, so peaceful, always innocent. Dressed in his new pajamas with colorful airplanes and puppies, his little snores are endearing. The familiar weight and warmth is so hard to let go of, but eventually, I place him in his crib. I watch to make sure he settles in and continue sleeping then I reluctantly traipse back to bed.

How drastically our lives have changed, we were one when we got married but with Eli, we are now whole, complete. It is this sense of completeness that triggers a sense of fear/worry. Watching the news does not help at all to allay these fears… babies snatched from their own home, girls/boys snatched off their front yard to be raped/murdered, teens kidnapped/killed … all ugly realities but occurring all around us. How did mankind evolve to be so hateful, so cruel? What causes these behaviors? Is it the lack of religion in their lives? Is it a hurtful past? Whatever it is, I fervently pray for a more peaceful people so that as our children grow up, they are immersed in a society where these despiteful and heinous crimes are not the norm.

I wish I could shelter my child from the harsh realities of life but I know it is not possible nor the most responsible parenting. My wish for my son is that he will grow up to be intelligent, thoughtful, respectful… a good man. If every single one of us is able to do that successfully, perhaps there will be a better tomorrow? I am hopeful.

No comments: