Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

And our little family is complete!

After much anticipation, Baby Eli was born on April 7th, 2009 at 9.35pm, weighing in at 5 lbs 11 3/4 oz and measuring 18 inches long.


Our sweet little boy, Mummy and Daddy loves you so very much and are so glad that you're finally here.

Our birth story started over the weekend. My mom arrived from Malaysia on midnight this past Saturday and on Sunday, we went to church together as a family and then us girls branched off to a little shopping. Nothing too interesting, it was mostly to purchase confinement type necessities as well as stocking up the pantry since I had been so swamped at work to do so. It turned out to be a 6 hour expedition.

Nevertheless, the cramping started at 2 am on Monday morning. It came to a point where it was 10 minutes apart and the doctor told us to come in. However, I was still only 1 to 2 cm dialated but the cervix was still up high. After an hour, we got sent back much to Mr J's protests.

The cramping never did stop and just got worse towards Tuesday night and by 3 am on Tuesday, the intensity of the pains had escalated but the frequency was still 10 minutes. Mr J was not going to be refused and called the doctor asking to go to the hospital. I think it was more of he was feeling helpless and not able to soothe my pains!

When we got to the hospital at 11 am, I was 3 to 4 cm dialated and 90% effaced but the cervix was still up high... hmmmm... I progressed to 6 cm within the hour and was more than ready for my epidural! Putting in the IV and epidural was traumatising for me since I have a low tolerance for pain but what a wonderful relief it was after the initial discomfort. It was pretty amazing to look at the monitor and gasp at the magnitude of some of these contractions I was having!

Things started to get tiring and baby was showing some signs of being worn out after 12 hours of this though and by 9 pm, the doctor decided a c-section was best since eventhough I was completely dialated, my pubic bone was too narrow for the baby's head to pass through. I will not lie, I was terrified since I've never had major surgery before but at that point, I would have jumped over a cliff to save my precious little bundle!

Mr J wasn't any better, I know he was terrified as well but put on a brave front and stood by me all the way. To make a long story short, the c-section was quick but yet, felt like forever as I could feel the tugging and hear the conversations but at 9.35pm, I finally got to meet this little man....


Seeing the little one for the very first time. It was a surreal experience to finally meet this perfect little thing.


Daddy's kissies.


A very exhausted Mummy with her sweet boy.


Twice the size of Daddy's palms?


I'm just half asleep Mummy!


Daddy's changing his first diaper.


With Grandma


With Grandpa

7 comments:

Grace said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! A beautiful baby boy - all worth the wait!! So precious!! Do get lots of rest when you can.... Just in time for Easter... yay'!! Eli is so adorable!

Beachlover said...

congratulation !! wow!! you so brave,going for natural birth!! but you are like me at last doctor choose C-section for us!! take rest while you can now...u need it later when u recovered to be able to take care BB J..

letti said...

Rest well new momma :) It must be so exhausting to have gone through all that labor ( i skipped that part )and then have a c-section. But i'm glad everyone's safe. congrats and what a precious bundle eli is!

Cat Cat said...

Congrats... Baby Eli looks alot like you... He's a cutie pie..

Salt N Turmeric said...

Congratulations Sheila! He is such a cutie. *hugs*

Geraldine said...

Congrats to you and your hubby. Babies are such a blessing to a couple. Enjoy the baby as he will grow up too quick.

BTW, my son's middle name is Eli too.

Moments In Time said...

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. He is definitely a blessing and a joy... I cannot believe that he is one week old already, next thing I know, he'll be off to college... I think I'm going to cry :((