Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Vegetable lentil curry

This recipe is specially for my fellow blogger friend Farina who requested that I share from one of my previous post. Super easy and fast especially if you have a pressure cooker.

Indgredients

Group A
1/2 cup lentils [yellow], soaked overnight
10 pips garlic sliced
3 shallots sliced
1 tsp tumeric
1 tablespoon chilli powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tablespoon oil
5 cups water

Group B
5 dried chillies
curry leaves, torn
1 red onion sliced
1 tsp mustard seeds

Group C
Any vegetable you like, I used;
Carrots
White carrot, dry fried in a wok without oil
Green beans
Okra
Tomato
Eggplant

Method:
1. Place Group A in a pressure cooker and boil for 20 minutes, add carrots and continue to boil for 10 minutes, lentils should be totally disintegrated by now.
2. Heat wok with some oil, add mustard seeds. Wait till it starts popping, add onions, fry till translucent. Add curry leaves, saute till brown and almost crispy, dump into lentil mixture.
3. Add white carrot, green beans, eggplant, okra and tomato. You may time it based on your preference on the tenderness of the veggies.
4. Add salt to taste and remove from heat.

This is delicious with spring hoppers, roti canai, basmathi rice, french loaf or even regular bread. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Sweet Jasmine said...

I call it dhall curry....and had posted a simple recipe on my blog....check it out on my food section....i made some chapati to go with it....

pearly said...

oh I got some chapati I never make a veg curry I will try on your veg curry without lentil is that ok ? cos I am not a big fun of lentil .
thank for sharing xxxx

Salt N Turmeric said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe. eh since i dotnv a pressure cooker (and dont intend to have 1 either), can i use regular pot? im sure id have to cook it longer ya?