Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Weekend Projects

There is something about being deprived of warmth and sunshine over an extended period of time which makes one spring into a buzz of activity. We worked on the yard and put in a little vegetable garden in the backyard. After tilling the soil and weeding our little designated patch, I was very glad that we didn't do this for a living! Dear hubby is sitting on the couch with a heating pad on his back right now and I feel like I've been put through a washing machine! In any case, I think when we see the flowers blooming and eat the produce from the garden, it would be all worth it!


Mr. J started out early, mowing the lawn and prepping the area


Our little vegetable garden, we've put in cherry and regular tomatoes, chilli peppers, yellow string beans, sugar snap peas, carrots, yellow squash, chives, lavender and green onions.


Mr. J planted various bulbs etc so hopefully we'll see blooms in the summer or maybe next spring.

Of course, with my guy working hard outside, I slipped in to put a pot roast together.


Sear a good chunk of pot roast beef. Place in slow cooker, add beef broth. Season with onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, basil, bay leaf and Lea & Perrins sauce.


Layer with sliced onions, carrots, potatoes and sliced mushrooms.


6 hours later, served with toast.

When the boy has his meat and potatoes, what's a girl got to eat?


Sushi with unagi, crabstick, cucumber, avacado and egg. 3 slices not because I'm on diet but because I couldn't stop eating when I was rolling them. Mr. J insisted that I eat dinner with him so 3 slices it was :) Mr. J laughed when he saw my plate, he was like, all day cooking and this is what you made???? Ahem, look for results in the next pic :)


I usually stock up on weekday meals since I have LeanCuisine for lunch with fruit or carrots, I like to have a hot meal when I come home that's not instant. I made Ikan Bilis Sambal and Beef Rendang, can't wait for a Nasi Lemak night! And Ikan Bilis Sambal is excellent with fried rice/noodles, sayur lodeh or can even be made into Sambal Telur... oooh, the possibilities are endless.

These pics are from last weekend, I made shortcut curry laksa, I used chicken stock with my mother's laksa paste that I had in the freezer.


Chicken breast seasoned with salt, garlic and ginger ready to be steamed in the microwave. Once cooled, shred for topping.


Ladle broth over rice vermicelli, yellow noodles and bean sprouts. Top with shredded chicken, mint leaves and sambal. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Cat Cat said...

Wow, didn't know you can make sushi... Looks good... Love sushi and always wanted to try make them at home but on second thoughts, better not since I'm hopeless in cooking.

Zue Murphy said...

That is a nice patch of vege garden.