Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, May 12, 2008

Of travel and pleasure

The perks of being an audit-or [well I guess one can argue the'perk' value] is that I get to travel extensively, it is when I landed here in the US of A that I discovered the joys of driving. Not intercity traffice jams but rather, the long distance haul. For me, it is actually very relaxing, I pick out a sporty car, visit the library and check out several audio books, pack my bags and I'm ready to hit the road. I love the different terrains, the feel of the road and of course, anticipation of getting to my destination.

It seems almost peaceful, I'm usually completely immersed in my 'book', occasionally, there'll be a loud honk from the truckers, the first few times that happened to me, I'd freak out and pull over off the next exit to make sure my trunk or gas tank flap wasn't open or my tyres weren't flat, it was only later that I realized that it has to be pretty amusing for a 'little' Asian chick to be driving around in a Mustang, I get the same reaction when I drive Mr. J's huge truck. I have learnt to smile and wave these days :)

This past week brought me to Atlanta, it was a short stay but I had the opportunity to stock up on our Asian groceries. I made a pitstop at the Buford Highway Farmer's Market, we get decent Asian groceries here in Nashville but it's usually hit or miss. So with Mr. J's dwindling supply of Indo Mi Goreng, it was time to stock up. I do notice more and more Malaysian products being brought in at this store.


I've never tried this 'kau' (strong/thick) version. It's probably more 'herby' but since my dear husband does not partake in this dish, I rarely make this so it was a pass for me.


Old town coffee mix, belachan and shrimp paste. Had to stock up on shrimp paste as I have been craving my Penang Rojak!


Maggi Chilli Sauce!!!! Finally, I had to un-train myself to eat French Fries with ketchup instead of chilli sauce :) I remember when we were in Paris, I made my hubby ask them if they have chilli sauce, he looked at me like I were crazy [or jakun] but asked anyways. Ah, love makes one lose all semblences of rationality :)

After all the shopping, it was off to Penang Restaurant. It's not the bestest Malaysian food but beggars can't really be choosers! The staff is kind of stuck up in my opinion, which really drives me mad cos I spend at least $50 by myself when I am there as I like a smorgasboard :) Or just plain deprived and greedy :)


Penang Rojak, just alright, notice no peanuts in the sauce or shrimp crackers :(


Roti Telur, again, just okay, quite rubbery and curry is bland with too much coconut milk.


This was supposed to be "Ikan Panggang" but when served, it was some tilapia deep fried with a belachan sambal. The fish was overfried, maybe to mask the un-freshness and the sauce was black and tasted burnt. This cost $25, definitely not worth it!


Okay, after disappointing dinner, it was finally time to check in to the hotel du jour, the Mar-riott Marquis in downtown Atlanta, I LOVE the king sized bed!


Going to sleep with the skyline from the 45th floor was awesome!


Nothing like yummy truffles for a nightcap :)


We have a unspoken rule in our household, whenever my husband goes off on his business trips, he buys me a present and when I go on my business trips, I buy me a present :) Hee hee. In the spring spirit and the upcoming arrival of our little girl, I have been on a pink crazy, hence it was time to change out my black wallet to a pretty pink one!


Mmmmm, I love the smell of leather!

So that was last week, what have you been up to?

5 comments:

Cat Cat said...

Wow, that was a pretty expensive dinner. The overcooked fish looks kinda sad to me too... Eh, next time try their Curry Mee or Prawn Mee. Or perhaps a plate of Nasi Lemak... Penang in DC is quite good.

Ah, didn't know you're pregnant... Congrats and have you got the name for the baby girl yet?

Moments In Time said...

Hey Cat! Yeah, it was quite expensive for dinner. I have tried their Mee Kari, it's got too much santan so not my favorite. But their Prawn Mee is good but makes you thirsty *wink* *wink*.

No la, our little girl is our Doggie la, I WISH I was pregnant! Still no luck :(

Cat Cat said...

Man man lei about the pregnant thingy... My girlfriend had been trying for two years and "boom" a few months ago, she gave birth to a healthy baby boy...

Good luck ya and enjoy the process of making baby now... Hehe

Salt N Turmeric said...

heheh. doesnt look like ikan panggang. looked like ikan hangus ada! lol.

letti said...

man, looking at all this m 'sian stuff makes me so envious :) And your poodle is soooo cute!!!!! Thanks for dropping by, and congrats!!!! How exciting :)