Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Palm Sunday


“Were you there when they crucified my Lord
Oh sometimes it causes me to tremble tremble tremble…”

Two sentences evoke so much emotion in me, my mind reflects on the One who died to set us free, I have never been able to sing along to that hymn without tears streaming down my face.

This past Sunday was Palm Sunday, for us Catholics, it marks the onset of the very solemn Holy Week.

I got to church in time for the start of Mass where palm fronds were blessed with holy water, the priests garbed in red and gold brocaded vestments, the somber congregation filling out all available space. The mood was somber as Palm Sunday commemorates Jesus Christ's triumphant entry into Jerusalem.

In his homily on Palm Sunday, Pope Benedict urged the faithful to follow God with the innocence and purity of a child's heart.

"To recognize God, we must abandon the pride that dazzles us, that seeks to push us away from God," he said. To find God, he said, "we must learn to see with a young heart, one which isn't blocked by prejudice and dazzled by interests.”

How do we retrain ourselves so that our actions and decisions are not ones of self interest and biasness? I do not recall when and where in my life that I learned all these traits… is it a classic case of nature vs nurture? Or is it a result of graduating from the school of hard knocks?

In as much as I ponder, I do not know the answer, what are your thoughts on this? How do we perhaps change one little thing about ourselves so that we may live a little better?

No comments: