Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Bliss

Bliss is when you have your loved one by your side having insurmountable fun doing basically nothing really special at all! We started off today with a loud crash of glass and Mr. J yelling for help. I guessed that he broke the jar that held brazil nuts and I was right. In his sleepy haze, he went to get cereal and didn’t see the jar right next to it. It was a new jar but oh well, accidents happen.

I wish I thought to take a picture. It was priceless! There was Mr. J in his undies balancing on one foot not unlike a ballerina, trying not to step on any shards of glass. In any case, I came to the rescue *tsk tsk* and got everything cleaned up and once we got him fed, we both got ready and headed out to 9am Mass.

The morning was brilliant. 61 degrees Fahrenheit, sunny and the breeze carried the smells of almost-spring! After church, I was hit by an acute need to eat pineapple and Mr. J stopped by Kroger to get me one together with these primroses. Pretty flowers further comfort me that spring is almost here!



When we got home, I decided to make assam laksa. To the uninitiated, this is basically noodles in a spicy, sour and hot fish broth which is absolutely yummilicious. I did not have every single indgredient such as torch ginger [bunga kantan] or Vietnamese coriander [daun kesum] of which I have a single stalk that has been struggling through winter (look at the primrose picture and you’ll see it in the pastel pot). So I did it the shortcut way.

Assam Laksa

6 shallots, roughly pounded
1 inch galangal, sliced
3 kaffir lime leaves, torn
15 bird’s eye chillies, split
3 pieces dried tamarind slices (assam keeping)
2 stalks lemongrass bruised
Pineapple (I used fresh, dropped in the fibrous core and ¼ of the yummy flesh)
4 tbsp chili paste (I used tom yum paste)
1lb fish fillet, I used grouper [I guess any white mild fish works too, I’ve used tilapia]

Method:
1. Saute shallots with oil, add chilli, lemongrass and stir fry till fragrant. Add chili paste, stir fry and add kaffir leaves. Fill pot until ¾ with filtered water. Add tamarind slices and pineapple, bring to boil. Once boiling, turn down to a simmer and leave for 1 hour.
2. Season to taste with salt, sugar and lime juice if the sourness level needs to be upped.
3. Drop fish fillets and this cooks real quickly, use the back of your spatula to break this up or mash it.

To serve:
Noodles – yellow or Vietnamese clear (blanched)
Sliced red onions
Julienned pineapple
Julienned cucumber
Sliced chilli
Fresh mint
Prawn paste [heh koh]





This hit the spot I have to say!


After cleaning up, I went upstairs to join the napping Mr. J, half napping and half watching tv. I got bored and decided to paint my nails.



What else left to do after painting but blog and blog hop!


After a while, I realised I'm missing a husband! I found him in the backyard. He had the little fire pit going.


The sky was overcast.


The river looked gloomy.


And yet, Mr. J decided to crank his grill. I marinated 2 chicken breasts for his salads and he threw a polish sausage on there for his dinner. Assam laksa isn't his cup of tea!


Close up of the chef's masterpiece.


First flip flop of the season!


The wind was blowing like crazy so I decided to go back to the cozy den. On the way, I noted the chimes were being beaten to death by the wind.


Ahhhh, back to my snuggly spot, this time with the addition of a steaming bowl of tau fu fah.


I feel like I am almost ready for the week ahead!

2 comments:

Salt N Turmeric said...

i made assam laksa once using the ready made paste n i tell u girl, the smell sampai i pun naik pening. lol! tht time i guna sardine in a can aje. malas nak beli ikan and rebus.

eh u guys dah already feeling spring? i think kitorang still unsure. lol. last week panas and this week huja the whole week. i wish we live in a hse and can sit outside by the fire. berangan! lol.

Moments In Time said...

Eh Farina, beggars mana boleh jadi choosers kan???? Main hentam aje la, asalkan lepas makan tak keluar balik, jadikla :))))

I pun memang malas and always use shortcuts tapi masa stress kat kerja gila ni, memang kena lepas steam la, kalau tidak, memang temper-temper dengan si abang tu ha ha, memang jahat la :)

Weather kat sini memang gila la, lepas weekend, this week sejuk gila pulak! I can't wait for spring!!! Eh duduk apartment pun boleh buat fire, BBQ la!!!!!