Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, February 4, 2008

Slowing down.

Someone forwarded this to us last year and Mr. J had stuck it on our refrigerator last new year and I did not pay it too much attention until this past weekend when in the midst of being swamped with 80 hour work weeks and feeling very much like a zombie, merely existing each day just to repeat the grueling process all over again the very next, I actually took the time to read this and reflect on its meaning.

Cheesy as it may be seem as I often find forwards to be, this little passage made me take a step back, take a deep breath of fresh air and reflect.

After my first husband, Mr. M passed away, I oft times reflect on all that we did right and also the ‘wrongs’ we did. One of the ‘wrongs’ was that we got so wrapped up with our careers, his with finishing up his MD/PhD and myself, to establish myself in my profession. We were together for 7 years before we got married and we worked hard so that we can build a good life for ourselves and our future family.

If only we relaxed just a tiny bit and took the time to enjoy life a little, stress out less about making everything perfect because I have come to realize that perfection even though attainable at times, is very difficult to be sustainable. Hence, I’ve learnt that the little ‘flaws’ in life is what makes my life ‘mine’, I have learnt that imperfection is absolutely OKAY and is what makes us human.

So chastised, I shut my laptop down, put my work files away and grabbed Mr. J and went out for a long drive in the country, went to the store, got a few things, got home, put together a cheese platter, shrimp cocktail, put a beef roast into the oven just in time for our friends Dale and Kelly to come over. We had a wonderful relaxing evening, with lots of food, drinks, laughter and conversation. Dale got out his guitar and sang some stuff he’d written and Mr. J played the role of cameraman/editor and at 3am, we had a music video!

Anyways, back to the poetry which catapulted my thoughts and actions into overdrive down memory lane…

Also, I am not sure who the author of this piece is so if any of you know, please leave me a comment.

Last Week I threw out Worrying,
it was getting old and in the way.
It kept me from being me;
I couldn't do things God's way.
~~
I threw out a book on MY PAST
(Didn't have time to read it anyway)
Replaced it with NEW GOALS,
Started reading it today.
~~
I threw out hate and bad memories,
(Remember how I treasured them so)?
Got me a NEW PHILOSOPHY too, threw out the one from long ago.
~~
Brought in some new books too, called I CAN, I WILL, AND I MUST.
Threw out I might, I think and I ought.
WOW, you should've seen the dust.
~~
I ran across an OLD FRIEND,
I hadn't talked to in a while.
His name is GOD the Father,
and I really like His style.
~~
He helped me to do some cleaning and added some things Himself.
Like PRAYER, HOPE, FAITH and LOVE,
Yes I placed them right on the shelf.
~~
I picked up this special thing and placed it at the front door.
I FOUND IT- its called PEACE. Nothing gets me down anymore.
~~
Yes, I've got my house looking nice

Looks good around the place

For things like Worry and
Trouble there just isn't any space
~~
It's good to do a little house cleaning,
Get rid of the things on the shelf.
It sure makes things brighter;
Maybe you should TRY IT YOURSELF.

No comments: