Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Of love and crabcakes.

Mr. J is working this weekend. So this Saturday was the usual laundry, clean up and going into the office to work, it is busy season after all. So it was to my surprise when I got home at about 6 pm today to find these pretty yellow flowers which reminds me so much of spring... yellows and greens are so spring isn't it??? Also, a very thoughtful and sweet musical card... don't you just love 'just because' surprises?? I know I DO :)


So this evening was a relaxing one, I made my special crabcakes with an organic green, warm French gourmandaise cheese, ruby grapes and macademia nuts drizzled with balsamic vinagrette. Scrumptious and simple meal.

This recipe is one of estimation and thrown together to suit our taste so I'm recording it here for future references.

Daddy's favorite Crabcakes

1lb fresh lump crab meat
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp plain breadcrumbs
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1/2 tsp Dill (I used dried since we did not have fresh on hand)
2 tbsp mayonnaise [I used fat free]
1 tsp coarse grain mustard
Black pepper, a few turns of the pepper mill
2 tbsp chopped scallions
1 tbsp sweet relish

Mix the above all together and it should look like this.



Now, for the assembly and cooking process. I use as little oil to pan fry these, so I used 2 tbsp canola oil. Heat pan, fill a shallow bowl with 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs, drop the crab mixture using a 1/3 cup measure into the bowl containing breadcrumbs. Dust to coat evenly and drop it into the frying pan, proceed to do the next piece.

For the sauce, I just made a simple remoulade. I used 2 tbsp mayonaise, 1 tbsp cajun seasoning, 2 tbsp lemon juice, salt-pepper-sugar to taste.

This made 5 cakes for us which was the perfect portion for us, 2 for me and 3 for Mr J [who by the way wiped his plate clean in under 2 minutes]! The final product served with salad, lemon wedges, spicy remoulade and tartar sauce.


Look at him here, posing silly for the camera!


Finally, the cook gets to enjoy her meal. When we moved in to our new house, we decided to put the tv upstairs in the den rather than the living room downstairs as we wanted to deter eating in front of the tv... a year later, see where we're eating! Hopefully when we have children, meal times is at the dining table! I guess it's because we're on the go all day and when we get home and sit to relax, we like to catch up on the news and also with each other so the den upstairs it is.


Anyways, today, it was switching between Nascar [Mr J was so excited as Dale Earnhart Jr. is driving the National Guard car, good thing he won!] and the Democrat presidential campaign. Even though I can't vote, I love watching Obama speak, he is so charismatic.

So that wraps up our Saturday, hope yours were as cosy and relaxing as ours!

3 comments:

StudioL6 said...

I loved the crabcakes in Boston. Thanks for this wonderful recipe!

Cat Cat said...

We had a busy weekend - Saturday went shopping at Ike@ and Sunday all the housechores and grocery shopping. I'm exhausted.

Moments In Time said...

Thanks studio16. The best crabcakes I had were in Maryland! Since that is over 500 miles away from Nashville, I had to improvise. Many chefs here seem to load up on fillers [breadcrumbs mostly], I love the sweet taste of crab meat hence the light seasoning. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

CatCat - I jeles la, the nearest Ikea is in Atlanta. I love shopping there, maybe it is a good thing it is so far away, if not gone la our paychecks! Today was full of chores, it's 9.30pm, sekarang baru siap! Have a good week ahead!